HanesBrands’ Industry-Leading Chemical Management Program
HanesBrands has a rigorous chemical management program to ensure that our products are made with the most sustainable and safe substances possible, and to protect our consumers, our employees and the environment. We were one of the first companies to have a comprehensive chemical management program; since 1991 all chemicals that enter our facilities or are used to manufacture our products require corporate approval in advance to ensure they meet our high self-imposed standards. We also require suppliers to have comparable chemical management systems. The objective is to design and manufacture using safer and more sustainable chemistries, minimizing the potential for chemicals of concern entering the manufacturing process.
- In coordination with industry peers, Hanes led the initiative of the American Apparel and Footwear Association in the development of its restricted substances list. We continue to serve on the committee to update this list twice per year.
- Our in-house restricted substances list goes beyond the AAFA’s restricted substances list to include additional substances as well as non-regulated chemicals of concern.
- Hanes has a listing of restricted substances for packaging.
- Our internal Chemical Review Board governs our chemical management policy and assesses newly available data on chemicals.
- All chemicals to be used in Hanes facilities must receive corporate approval before they are allowed on site. As a part of this approval process, chemical ingredients are evaluated, cross-referencing (1) global regulations for process chemistry, including components that are not in the finished product, (2) published literature on public safety and health concerns, (3) potential environmental impacts, (4) product end-of-life, and (5) sustainability of our products, processes and facilities. A database of all chemicals used in our facilities is maintained with regulatory links to verify global compliance.
- Similarly, suppliers of all sourced products contractually agree to meet Hanes’ stringent standards on chemicals used in manufacturing. To ensure proper management, Hanes implemented a third-party chemical audit program for these facilities.
- Hanes has been a very active member and participant in the Sustainable Apparel Coalition’s development of chemical management guidelines.
- Hanes was one of eight members of the Outdoor Industry Association Chemical Management Working Group that developed the CMWG Framework that is currently being incorporated into the Sustainable Apparel Coalition’s Higg Index.
- Hanes has been one of many industry leaders that are helping to develop the Voluntary Product Environmental Profile program, an electronic database that ensures the availability of more comprehensive data for chemicals than is required by law.