HanesBrands Sets 2020 Goals for Environmental Sustainability
HanesBrands surpassed its initial five-year goals for significant reductions in energy use, carbon-dioxide emissions and water use in 2012, and has since set even more ambitious goals for environmental performance by 2020. Compared to its 2007 baseline performance, Hanes is committed to:
- Reduce energy consumption by 40 percent;
- Reduce carbon-dioxide emissions by 40 percent;
- Reduce water use by 50 percent;
- Secure at least 40 percent of its total energy from renewable sources; and,
- Achieve zero waste by diverting company-owned supply chain waste from landfills.
Hanes’ reports progress against its 2020 goals on an annual basis.
Between 2007 (baseline year) and 2012, the company:
- Reduced energy use by 22 percent per pound of apparel produced; the goal was 20 percent.
- Reduced carbon dioxide emissions by 23 percent per pound of apparel produced; the goal was 15 percent.
- Reduced water usage by 31 percent per pound of apparel produced; the goal was 10 percent.
- Received 32 percent of energy from renewable sources, such as biomass, hydroelectric and geothermal electric; the goal was 30 percent.