A Focus on Renewable Energy: HanesBrands Invests in Biomass Facilities

HanesBrands is committed to increase its use of renewable energy to 40 percent by 2020, and the company has made significant investments in biomass facilities to help meet the demands of its energy-intensive manufacturing operations.

The company owns and operates two state-of-the-art biomass facilities in its global energy portfolio. The first is a process steam biomass boiler at the company’s textiles facility in the Dominican Republic, and the second is a biomass-fueled combined heat and power system connected to its textile and sock plants in El Salvador.

The system in El Salvador, for example, began operations in July 2015 and is anticipated to meet 100 percent of the site’s process steam needs and 45 percent of its electrical demand. The remaining 55 percent of electricity needed to run the company’s manufacturing operations is purchased from a geothermal generator, which is also 100 percent renewable.

HanesBrands expects use of the El Salvador biomass facility will lead to a 5 percent reduction – 33,000 metric tons per year – in total company GHG emissions. According to the U.S. EPA greenhouse gas equivalency calculator, this is comparable to planting 845,000 trees or taking almost 7,000 cars off the road.

OUR STORIES

HanesBrands honored for CSR by two leading organizations

Two leading independent advocates of corporate
Read Story >

Hanes partners with Rotary Club to provide free solar panel kits

Thanks to HanesBrands and the Rotary Club of San
Read Story >

Green for Good – Changing Lives

In 2010, HanesBrands developed a way to combine
Read Story >

Providing Life-Changing Surgeries in the Dominican Republic

In 2011, HanesBrands and Wake Forest Baptist
Read Story >

Delivering Medical Care to Employees and Families

Using specially designed mobile medical clinics,
Read Story >